Thursday, November 8, 2007

Why blog? Especially about feminism?!

I needed a space in which I could rant and share. The most fascinating thing to me is when I disclose that I am a feminist to someone who, until that point, was taking me very seriously, completely alters their perspective. It's so interesting what people think feminists "are." Seriously, feminists now-a-days come in all shapes, sizes, colors and beliefs... We should embrace the "f-word" not shutter because of it.

When someone says, "feminist" what image comes to your mind? Leave comments and be honest. Regardless of whether you think of a strong, confident, woman in heals; a bra burning radical; a stay-at-home mommy who made that choice for herself, or anything else, put it down... i wanna see what images people have of feminists...

3 comments:

Smirking Cat said...

My image is: a strong woman who stands by her belief in equality despite society's attempts to brand such a woman as "unfeminine" or "unattractive". The word feminist has been vilified by those who are afraid of women who speak their minds and know their own worth. I know most other people's are radically different than mine, by my perception of a feminist is colored by the fact that I respect people who fight for a better, more just world.

Almost Wifey said...

I have come to believe that feminism knows no sexual boundries. Both men and women can identify themselves as feminists and I am proud to call myself one...

Jeff said...

Feminist to me was someone who was a radical. It was someone who took an issue of inequality to women and pulled to the other extreme of inequality for men. Again this was a previous belief that was short lived once I met a certain blogger here on this site ;) Thanks for the enlightenment.