Saturday, March 8, 2008

International Women's Day!

I realize most people have no idea that annually, March 8th is recognized as International Women's Day. However, since i grew up in Russia, this holiday has very special sentimental value to me. Growing up, the 8th of March would be reserved for me to wait patiently until my dad came home with flowers for my mom and a board game or toy for me. I especially loved this holiday because my bratty self got to parade around the house and tease my brother with my special gift. I loved being daddy's little girl.


Valentine's Day wasn't celebrated in Russia but even now as i've become Americanized with hearts, roses, chocolates, and flowers throughout February, Women's Day remains special. Women's Day isn't necessarily a celebration for lovers. It's a day to celebrate all the women in our lives, young and old, married and single, related and not. It's a day to recognize the achievements women have made throughout history and the contributions special women in our lives make to us everyday.


So today as you continue to work for women's rights, tell a special woman in your life "thank you" and that you love her. What better day to recognize her than International Women's Day?!


International Women's Day in the USSR was initially intended to celebrate the achievements of women workers, and would include state ceremonies declaring the government's achievements in improving the status of women... On Moscow's subway system, congratulatory messages to women will be broadcast throughout the day on the Metro's public address system. In the Urals city of Perm, thousands of couples will gather in an attempt to break the world kissing record.


2 comments:

Amelia said...

Thanks a lot for the comment! I will read your blog when I have more time (I'm home from college for the weekend).

Happy International Women's Day!

Smirking Cat said...

Well, I missed the official day, but good thing I operate on the assumption that every day is a good to pay homage to me :)