Friday, October 24, 2008

Friday Feel Good: Season of Giving

(This should have been posted yesterday, sorry about that)

I heard on NPR this morning that groups who serve the community are especially struggling right now, since Americans are terrified to open their wallets to donations more than ever. I don't blame them, it's difficult to donate money to charity when you're not sure how much gas will cost tomorrow and whether you'll be able to pay your mortgage or rent this month.

I wanted to write a post about how good it feels to donate. Since starting my jewelry shop in August, I have been able to donate $200 to The Center for Women and Families of Eastern Fairfield County and am writing another check today for $150. Honestly, i couldn't do this out of my pocket. So i took up jewelry making. I donate 50% of my earnings to the organization and am incredibly grateful for all my costumers who purchase the jewelry knowing half their money will go to such a great cause. It enables me to engage in activism through giving money and also serves as a creative outlet. I love to craft so this really was a perfect match for me. I realize i'm shamelessly self promoting right now but i wanted to remind everyone to give, especially now, because there will always be someone out there who has less than you, no matter how little it is you have.

Please feel free to browse my shop for holiday gift ideas: designsbygalina.etsy.com :)

Where do you give, especially around the holidays? Do you donate money? Food? Your time?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually give throughout the year; I don't really up things during the holidays. I do tend to go through my closets and make a big donation to Goodwill at the end of the year, but that's really the only thing I do differently.

Anonymous said...

I also give throughout the year, mostly with my time, sometimes with funding. Usually it's going to a men's emergency shelter and providing food, clothing toiletries; giving my time at various health fairs to help screen people for diabetes, kidney disease; also have helped organize a roadrace and raffle to raise $10,000 for a children's shelter in San Antonio, TX; helped organize a holiday toy drive for children and other things I can't remember now, but you make a great point Galina: so much can be done to help those less fortunate than us without giving funds, our time is equally as valuable if we make good use of it. As hard as our lives may seem, just remember that there is always someone else in a worse situaion somewhere. Thanks for the post!