Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Feminist Fairy Tale

We should have all been read this fairy tale as children:

Once upon a time in a land far away land, a beautiful, independent, self-assured princess came upon a frog as she sat contemplating ecological issues on the shores of an unpolluted pond in a verdant meadow near her castle.

The frog hopped into the princess' lap and said "Elegant Lady, I was once a handsome prince, until an evil witch cast a spell upon me. One kiss from you, however, and I will turn back into the dapper, young prince that I am. Then, my sweet, we can marry and set up housekeeping in your castle with my mother,where you can prepare my meals, clean my clothes, bear my children, and forever feel grateful and happy doing so."

That night, as the princess dined sumptuously on lightly sauteed frog legs seasoned in a white wine and onion cream sauce, she chuckled and thought to herself: "I don't fuckin think so."

(Thanks Linds for the story)

Also, if you were at all wondering how my Nalgene fiasco was resolved, here is a photo of my new water bottle, a SIGG. Text reads, "Make Love Not Landfill."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, violence against women = serious problem, murdering men = funny.

Got it.

Radical Reminders said...

Um... she didn't murder a man, she ate a frog. If you want to campaign for frog's rights, i'm right there with ya.

Unknown said...

I must say, I too have jumped on the anti-plastic-water-bottle bandwagon and got myself a sigg as well! thanks to your influence. I woke up this morning, had a sip (of water that had been in there all night) and thought to myself how strange that it didn't taste like plastic as I was used to. What a glorious change!