Thursday, May 1, 2008

Holocaust Remembrance Day

Today is Holocaust Remembrance Day. I'll let Pastor Martin Niemöller's famous quote (inscribed at the New England Holocaust Memorial in Boston) speak for me.

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.


In light of Holocaust Remembrance Day, here's a NYT article from yesterday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that quote!

Unknown said...

Wow! Doesn't that say a lot. Words to live by...

Kahless said...

This is one of my favourite poems.